Wednesday, December 10, 2014

I am back!

Well, you may not have even realized I was gone but I am back!  Unfortunately we ended up with the flu in 6 of the 7 folks in the house.  This momma had it the worst and of course I am the only one that didn't see a doctor for a prescription to end my suffering.  Isn't it always like that for us moms?  We do a great job caring for others but not so much for ourselves.

With the new year just around the corner, the fact that I always seem to be my last concern made me consider what I will try to do different this next year.  Top of the list is to make time for my well-being.  I don't mean Girls Night Out, pedicures, or massages.  I mean doing the things to promote a general well being....exercise, balanced diet, and daily quite time.

Honestly some days I don't eat before noon and you can forget about getting in my daily allowance of water or even a drink of water before mid-day.  Exercise is always pushed off for more pressing matters (at least here lately during this busy part of the year).  I do manage to spend time in Scripture frequently but it always seems hurried or rushed.

So I am reclaiming my importance (not an overstated one) but one where I schedule time for the things that will ensure my well being.  But as I contemplate what this will actually look like for our family of seven I am finding a few indulgences I am going to have to give up and few areas I will need to discipline myself!

1.  Sleeping in after the Hunky Hubby heads off to work.  Neither my husband or I are morning folks.  If we could have a schedule where we slept until 8am we would both awaken with the energy of spring chickens but with a houseful of kids that is just not feasible.  Or at least when we do then the entire day is chaotic!  So no more rolling into his warm spot and enjoying a few extra moments of sweet dreams!

2.  Meal planning.  I do a great job planning meals for the kids but I am a finicky eater.  I don't like oatmeal or cereal which are great options for the kiddos.  They love it and can manage their morning meal independent of me.  So to make sure I eat I am going to have to prep ahead of time and make a plan.  Boooo!

3.  Laundry!  Ugh!  A family of 7 can wear some clothes especially with our littles fashionista who layers every outfit and changes multiple times each day.  I think it is time to purge clothes to avoid the mountain of clothes.  I mean if you only have so many sets of clothes you will have to laundry, right?  

4.  Date night!  I miss my husband!  Since staying home, I have limited adult interaction and boy to I miss it.  But more than that I miss my best friend.  We used to be able to manage a date night but recently faced the challenge of getting away.  Our autistic son had a period of time where he just wasn't dealing with the world and finding a sitter is near impossible.   So we just buckled in and rode out the storm.  I love our commitment to doing what is best for our family but I think we forget that our relationship needs the same commitment and attention.  So I am committing to finding time for my husband every day!  Yep I know that is a big goal.  But it can be as simple as a few minutes to share about our day.  Or a time to laugh together.


So wish me luck as I discipline myself in the months to come.  And check back in to see what is happening Growing Up on Dublin Lane.



No comments:

Post a Comment