Thursday, January 22, 2015

On the Road Again

We have been busy around the Morris household.  Three of our kids participate on a competitive cheer team and our season is in full swing.  This means extra practices and road trips for competitions.

Our last competition was in Ft Worth and because of conflicting activities I was on the road by myself.  I do not like traveling by myself with the kids.  I am a fairly independent and never worried about traveling across the state in my younger years but traveling with the kids gives a different perspective.

So I triple checked we had everything we needed (a cheerleader has a lot to carry to competitions) and off we went.  I entered the address for my destination in my phone and my handy dandy GPS mapped our route.  With Siri commanding my next move, we were on our way.

Now I am old enough to remember the days before GPS.  Early in life we traveled and my parents had the huge atlas that obstructed all view of the road.  I can remember the affectionate conversations between my parents as they navigated the roadways.  Ha!  Later Map Quest came along.  As a home health nurse, I religiously used Map Quest.  I would study the map ahead of time to give me a general idea of my route but always had a print out to reference on the trip.  Now I type in the address and away I go.  No double checking.  No back up method.  I blindly trust that if I follow the steps precisely I will arrive at my destination.  Now more than once I have "arrived at my destination" (use your best Siri voice) to not find my destination.  Siri was wrong.  Despite following the directions precisely the destination was incorrect.

As I traveled I began thinking how easily I trust Siri.  I never question her directions.  I follow along merging and taking turns as prompted.  Yet despite these times of not arrived at my destination as expected, I continue to trust Siri.  So why is it easy to trust Siri but not the road map God has given us?

The Bible is inspired of God, authored by holy men of God who were moved by the Holy Spirit preserve God's words in Scripture.  The entire Bible is without error.  And so designed to give us practical instruction in life to provide us the guidance we need to navigate through life.

You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me.  John 5:39

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness.  2 Timothy 3:16

Brothers, the Scripture had to be fulfilled, which the Holy Spirit spoke beforehand but he mouth of David concerning Judas, who became a guide to those who arrested Jesus.  Acts 1:16

So knowing all of this why do we ignore the instructions?  Why do we decide we know the best path to take?


The answer is we are flawed.  From the entrance of sin into the world we have been at odds with God's plan.  Despite our disobedience God provided a way for our eternal salvation....a way to reconcile us to him.



I have many more road trips in my future so I will continue to rely on Siri for directions.  And I know I have the road of life to navigate so as we are Growing Up on Dublin Lane I will continue to follow the map God provided.


No comments:

Post a Comment